Here are some basic fire safety tips, and checklists on how to manage fire risk.
All three elements need to be present to start a fire:
Use the correct type of extinguisher for the correct class of fire you are dealing with. You need to perform a risk assessment at your work environment to establish what type of fires you can be exposed to.
- Safety pin
- Discharge Hose
- Siphon Tube (Inside).
Use the PASS method to extinguish the fire
A – Aim at the base of the fire
S – Squeeze the lever.
S – Sweep from side to side.
Fire fighting tips
- All fires CAN BE very dangerous and life-threatening.
- Your safety should always be your primary concern when attempting to fight a fire.
- Consider what to do – FIGHT or FLIGHT
- Fire Extinguishers are not to be blocked or Material Packed in front of them – huge problem especially in offices.
- Fire Extinguishers should be placed not more than 46 metres apart to ensure that people do not travel more than 23 metres to get an extinguisher.
- Extinguishers should not be erected more than 1,5 meters from the floor.
- Extinguishers to be inspected once a month.
- Extinguishers and other fire equipment locations must be clearly demarcated and signs should be visible from a distance.
- Extinguishers should be placed in escape routes where possible.
- All people intending to use the equipment to be properly trained.
- Always maintain good housekeeping in the work area.
Copyright 2014 Sheqafrica.com