Twelve people were trapped under rubble and two construction workers critically injured, when a building collapsed in Silverlakes, Pretoria, on Wednesday 23 July at around 3.30pm on Hans Strijdom drive.
Officials on the scene said it appeared that when the supporting structure was removed the cement was still wet and part of the slab collapsed.
“Paramedics on the scene treated one person for multiple injuries and twelve others are believed to be still trapped under the rubble,” said Johan Vermaas of ER24.
He said Tshwane fire and rescue services were on the scene trying to rescue the people trapped under the collapsed construction.
The cause for the collapse was not yet known.
A medical station had been set up to assist the trapped victims as they were freed, Vermaak said.
Pretoria police could not immediately comment.
Latest posts by Edmond Furter (see all)
- Competition Commission could stop construction safety registration - 2 March 2017
- Mines sue inspectors for mine safety stoppages - 25 February 2017
- Mine Health and Safety Centre of Excellence opens in 2017 - 25 February 2017