Occupational health and safety consultants in the UK have set up a web-based register under the OSHCR, serving about 2000 members.
The UK Occupational Safety and Health Consultants Register (OSHCR) president reported; “We have seen membership numbers grow rapidly since OSHCR was set up in 2011 and they have now stabilised at around 2000.”
The OSHCR register represent the major professional bodies, supported by the UK Health and Safety Executive (HSE), an autonomous enforcement body.
Dr Richard Judge is the new HSE CEO. HSE was involved in the early life of OSHCR, providing administrative support. This role has now been taken over by Heriot Hughes Chartered Accountants, audited in turn by an independent firm.
OSHCR does not require a statutory audit, however for transparency purposes the board felt that this cost was essential to safeguard OSHCR’s position.
Their website has limitations for the register and functionality, and is being redeveloped by a consultant, who set up a tender process with shortlisted website design contractors.
The features of the new UK OHS consulting website will be:
• Comprehensive profiles to enable consultants to provide more detail about their qualifications, experience and expertise, and for these details to be fully searchable.
• Introduction of Corporate Profiles, to differentiate between consultants who are self-employed and those who are part of a larger organisation.
• Much-improved search and filter facilities including mapping (finding consultants in local areas), and improved granularity of searches (ability to ‘drill down’ into more detail after an initial high-level search).
• A new facility called ‘Referrals’ whereby prospective clients can post online that can either be sent internally to a consultant’s ‘inbox’ or made available for consultants to submit bids for. This will ensure that consultants always know when a referral has been initiated via the OSHCR website, and will also reduce the potential for spam emails and nuisance phone calls by not exposing a consultant’s contact details online.
• The website will be designed with built-in ‘Search Engine Optimisation’ features, meaning much greater chances of OSHCR-registered consultants coming up in Google searches, increasing the profile of OSHCR and its consultants across the web.
• A ‘Content Management System’ allowing much easier and faster changes to website content, keeping it fresh and dynamic with a new and modern user interface.
The OSHCR membership fee is £70 per year from 2015.
Their clients “rightly expect that OSHCR membership is a sign of competence, professionalism and commitment to high standards of health and safety advice and support.”
• Source; UK OSHCR.