Veld fire prevention and management requires good planning and co-operation with neighbours, writes Magda Diedericks of PSG Konsult short term insurance.
Veld fires are also named wildfires or woodland fires, and many management resources are available in USA and Australian risk management literature under those labels.
Here are some basic veld, bush, wild land, or woodland fire prevention tips;
• Prepare fire breaks in time
• Place fire breaks around borders, buildings, and infrastructure
• Maintain fire breaks by hoeing, pesticides, burning and clearing
• Inspect and maintain fire equipment
• Keep water tanks full
• Keep buckets, sand, spades and rag whips to hand
• Review regional fire plans, communication, response procedures, and responsible persons
• Practice fire response drills
• Maintain emergency response equipment and stores securely, including personal protective equipment (PPE), drinking water, first aid, Burnshield, showers, emergency numbers, batteries, signal flags, field glasses, and fuel.
PHOTO; Magda Diedericks of PSG Konsult short term insurance advises land owners and users to manage wild fire risk.
Latest posts by sheqafrica (see all)
- Service Announcement - 26 April 2017
- Cygma SHEQ Commemorates World Day for Safety and Health at Work - 25 April 2017
- Seven reasons why LTIFR does not impress - 21 April 2017